Silverstream Landfill Construction
Leach & Co has undertaken construction of numerous separable portions of construction at Silverstream Landfill for Hutt City Council since 2006 to date in 2019. We remain engaged on site undertaking construction of all the formation, lining and leachate collection works for the landfill cell development in collaboration with Hutt City Council and their consulting engineers. The works include:
- Site clearance and excavation of unsuitable material for the side slopes of the new landfill
- Construction and maintenance of sediment control measures
- Disposal of unsuitable material
- Bulk earthworks for the formation of the sides slopes
- Groundwater drainage construction
- Placement of backfill material for the formation of the base and side slopes
- Disposal of surplus material
- Excavation of suitable material from designated borrow areas for backfill and liner requirements for the base and side slopes
- Placement of soil liner components on base and side slopes
- Supply and installation of geosynthetic liner components on the base and side slopes
- Leachate diversion works
- Leachate drainage works
- Construction of a temporary toe bund and associated works
- Construction of access road
“Contracting is all about skill – and the ability to adapt to whatever challenges a site throws out. Innovation, flexibility and environmental sensitivity are vital if a contracting company is to be effective.”
Leach has specific experience in dealing with the challenges associated with contracting in the waste industry. Hazards are found in this industry which makes specialist contracting vital to a successful outcome.
These hazards can include:
- High depth of refuse requiring rework
- Unstable underfoot conditions resulting in plant or vehicles overturning
- Safety issues working near heavy plant and machinery
- A release of landfill gases – especially methane
- Contaminated water/leachate
- Fire risk working on a landfill
- Dangerous materials in the landfill which can cause injury, odour, vermin, hepatitis and tetanus risks
- Excavation in water
- Excavation is greater than 1.5 metres deep – being notifiable works.
- The company incorporates its Health and Safety System into all works, and each site is managed according to the Health and
- Safety Plan to ensure a safe workplace.
Silverstream Landfill start of construction – 2006
Silverstream Landfill end of stage 1 construction – 2008
Keeping it clean
Environmental responsibility is at the forefront of every one of Leach & Co’s operations, including contracting. To ensure all Leach & Co’s contracting works meet environmental requirements, the company also undertakes all its contracting works in compliance with:
- The Resource Management Act
- The Conditions of Consent for the site
- Contract specifications.
The company prides itself on effective project management and quality assurance procedures, ensuring the environmental protections that clients seek are achieved on time and to budget.